Tuesday, 7 June 2016

First Anniversary (doesn't seem five minutes)

Today I'm showing the card I made for my youngest sons first wedding anniversary I needed it to be a quick and simple one as I didn't get time to do it before I went away on holiday and the one I had planned would have taken too long to finish. So I'll save that one for next year and get it done earlier in the year.

I had planned to make their card the day after I got back from America but we had the return from hell (see below). 

The materials used are:

Ink: Pool Party
Card stock: Pool Party, Shimmery White
Card base: NSU (it's a white card based sponged round the edges with Pool Party)
Stamps: Bloomin’ Love, Teeny Tiny Sentiments, Timeless Love
Framelits: Bitty Banners (retired), Hearts A Flutter (retired)
Ribbon: Sycamore Street 1/4” (retired)
Accessories: Basic Pearls (NSU), Sequin Trim

Sorry, I’ve not yet placed an order from the new catalogue as all my holidays have come at once and I’ve been away a lot over the last few weeks so there is a lot of retired items used in the making of this card. Will be working with new products soon.

Journey From Hell

We headed for the New Orleans airport at 12:15 midday on the Friday for a 15.13 flight to Houston, when we got there the 12.13 flight passengers were still in the departure lounge and the plane was at the gate (bells should have rung). It left at 15.30. We were boarded onto our flight 4 hours later than we should have been only to wait on the runway for a further hour or so before take off because of the weather. Once in air we were told we were being diverted to College Station (wherever that is) as the weather in Houston was to bad to land and the flight would be a further 30 minutes. We felt we were descending and then a pull back and we were taking off again. The pilot said there was thick fog and he couldn't see to land so we would be carrying on a further 30 minutes to Austin Texas where we would need to refuel before returning to Houston for our connecting flight to Heathrow.

We had already been informed that that flight was also delayed but we would be back in time as they were going to hold it until 22:30.

Once in Austin we waited and waited (the Captain took an ESA dog for a walk twice) while we waited and then at last we were next to be refuelled, after that it was waiting for a slot to take off and also a gate free at Houston. The short version of this part of the story is we were on a plane six and a half hours for a one hour fifteen minute flight. We arrived in Houston at 01:00 Saturday morning instead of 16:30 Friday afternoon.  Needless to say our connecting flight had left at 22:30.

We were told to go to customer services to arrange transfer flight by a very tired and irritable gate attendant, when we got there there was a slight queue that took us just over seven hours to get to the front of (we were both exhausted by this time, and Starbucks had no seats left in their coffee shop as those waiting at the front handed them to those just behind them before going to the counter to get new tickets.  At last we knew we'd be on the 18.20 flight out of Houston Saturday night. But that's not the end, once on the plane all was going fine until they tried to release the jet way and it wouldn't budge.  Yes a further hours delay before take off.  We landed in Heathrow at lunch time on Sunday our time and then had the two hour drive home. What a journey, never want one like that again but everyone involved in the long waits were pleasant and kept their spirits up right to the end.  It's a good way to meet new people and hear great stories.

The holiday it's self was fantastic and we went to lots of lovely cities and did lots of wonderful things including the Grand Ole Opry where I saw my most favourite star at the moment Charles Esten along with daughter who is also a great singer and was debuting with him that night. He sings like a dream. My husband is getting over his fear of heights as we did the Tilt in the John Hancock tower and Willis tower sky walk in Chicago and then the St Louis arch when we got there. If you haven't done them they're a real thrill. We rode the Amtrak from Memphis to Hammond and its slow but great, take something to wrap around your shoulders though it can be chilly.  Our main cities were Chicago, St Louis, Nashville, Memphis, Lafayette and finally New Orleans they are all great places with plenty to do.

Will be back again soon with more cards
Love Annette x

No comments:

Post a Comment